Birthday Notes: 20 Things I have learned about myself by age 44:
Happy Birthday to me - I am 44 and I am going to own it! I got a little worked up about my age the other day thinking about all the stuff I wanted to do with my life, things I thought I had missed out on, things I wished I could change and then it hit me 44 is actually not so bad. I think I am doing pretty well. Sure I have made some miss steps - like that idiot I dated in college, the Jheri Curl/Prince hair don't in the early 80's, acid washed jeans etc. Hell if we all look back at our lives the list would go on and on. I have instead decided to view these moments in time, the skeletons in our closets, the bumps in the road, the bad judgements on my part, as tools. They are a map to help us see how far we have come, help define where we will go and ultimately who we are. Much like bruises from pole dancing I will proudly sport these moments because they are part of what makes me who I am and I wouldn't want to change a minute of it.
- True friendship is hard to come by - if you have it, keep it and them, close to your heart.
- I would not want to go back to being 21 years old.
- Men smell amazing after a shower.
- Every child should have a dog - it teaches responsibility & love.
- A Shoulder Mount learn it!
- It is hard to be single - but sometimes it's nice.
- It is equally hard to be married - but sometimes it's nice.
- I could however be 31 years old again.
- Life is hard and I don't truly think it gets any easier - we just learn to navigate it better.
- It's not the end result - it's the process, enjoy the process.
- Your eyesight will degrade as you get older so buy the coolest glasses you can and rock the sexy librarian look.
- I will never figure men out, but I will continue to try.
- Not everyone is meant to have children.
- Owning your own business is a great experience, I love it and I am glad I have done it.
- I underestimated the lack of sleep and the grumpiness that working 7 days a week would create.
- Learn something NEW you always wanted to do even if you suck at it - I surf - I am horrible and it brings me AMAZING joy!
- Sometimes the perfect pair of jeans and some good lip gloss is all you need.
- We as women are much harder on our looks then men - we need to loosen up a bit.
- You can't change anyone other than yourself.
- I would always rather have the cheese cake than not.
My goals for 45 are pretty simple: learn how to be more forgiving, learn to surf better and learn how to make a really good spicy pork ramen.
What are your goals???