I am always on the search for cute lingerie. Stuff that is unique, pretty, fun, hot, sexy and actually might fit me well. I know...next to impossible. One day I had the brilliant idea of making my own. While I'd like to think of myself as a crafty chica (even though I bought a brand new sewing machine in 2006 and it has never come out of the box) I am not.
Even though my lingerie sewing days seem to have been numbered before they started, I realized I can support other crafters who actually practice what they preach! That being said, I decided to go on a search to find people who create functional, fun, sexy, well-fitting items. My search took me to Etsy. Here is my list of 5 great Etsy stores for you to check out as well as a DIY panty tutorial and some of my favorite crafty DIY links.
- Knickerocker : "If your figure is hard to fit or even if it's not! Knickerocker custom-fit bras and panties are a necessity for any fashion-forward female. Cute, girly, flirty, sexy, seductive - whatever style you crave, Knickerocker not only has it, but can construct it to fit your form.". I purchased these from her and she made them to fit me. I LOVE them!
- Guided By Stars Designs : "A vintage feel with a modern twist to them, desirable to every woman who wants to feel a million dollars". I purchased this set from her and again she sized/made them to fit me!
- Toad Lillie: Inspired by vintage couture gowns of the 30s - 50s, Toad Lillie transforms sumptuous silks into romantic and flattering pieces that will make you (and your lover) swoon! Couture construction includes ruching, narrow rolled hems, french seams and silk gussets to ensure these lovelies feel as lush as they look. All items are made to measure and sewn individually by hand for a truly special treat.I am putting in an order for these and cannot wait to get them...they are so pretty.
- Naughty Naughty Lingerie: "Naughty Naughty offers lingerie in styles ranging from honeymoon attire to everyday wear. The designs are handmade to be as comfortable as they are beautiful."
- Hopeless Lingerie :In less than three years of existence, Hopeless Lingerie has managed to set a new standard in creativity and style. Taking inspiration from such diverse places as B-grade horror films, architecture and modern art, designer Gabrielle Adamidis with the help of her sister Dominique have established a strong following through innovative designs. Combining vintage aesthetics with modern comfort and convenience, Hopeless creates pieces that aim to make women feel sexy and beautiful.
Here are a few of my favorite DIY links as well:
- P.S. - I Made This...: One of the very best DIY web sites.
- ThreadBanger is one of my fav DIY web sites. "ThreadBanger is the home of DIY fashion how-tos, home décor tips, and more! Let them teach you the techniques to make your OWN style".
- Here is ThreadBangers DIY video on how to make panties by Clare Bare Lingerie. Clare Bare has really fun stuff on their website...check them out as well![youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg_s9i8k9o0&feature=fvsr]
- Craftster: "Craftster is an online community where people share hip, off-beat, crafty diy (do it yourself) projects. The term "Craftster" means "crafty hipster" and is also meant to be an homage to the pioneer peer-to-peer sites Napster and Friendster."
- New Dress A Day: This is so cool..."Bored, without a job, facing the mini-crisis of turning 30, and inspired after watching “Julie & Julia,” Marisa Lynch decided to take on a new project last summer: For 365 days in a row, she would mend, cut, dye, stitch, and otherwise transform secondhand clothing into a new dress daily, and she would do so with a budget of just $1 a day".
I love the idea of supporting the independent spirit so next time you're thinking about purchasing some flirty lingerie or even something new to dance in why not think about making something your self or supporting a small indy business - give these sites a look. Enjoy!
NEXT MONDAY: Updates to Trip The Light Fandango …Music To Move To